These are poems in progress as well as pieces that have been published in various journals. This blog is a work in progress just as the poems are a work in progress. I hope you enjoy them. I welcome comments.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pin Curls: All That Goes Around, Comes Around


It never ceases to be an amazement to me that I originally wrote this poem at the age of 18 and published it years and years later in an academic press.

It reminds me (and sometimes I need this) that all things are possible, given focus. There is, yes, such a thing as being overly creative, all typical protestations of writer's block aside.

Originally published in Yemassee, the University of South Carolina's literary magazine:



Vinegar & Water

Half asleep, dreaming my words
I am curling Grandma's hair a she leans across me
whispering crepey powder and faded love letters, and talking
about pretty girls who loved only books

But that was all right,

as I wound the pin curls sprayed with vinegar and water
and smiled 14-year-old righteousness at the reflection in the mirror
as our eyes met countenance repeated
letting my words grow tight and round.

Last night, dreaming, I realized she was right: I do lie.
remembering her death face after writing my book about rescues
which no one wants but approach wistfully, like piquant masks
forming circles of eyes and mouths and caricaturing us all.

I find a list is imminent - an inventory of pins and needles -
crucifixes all, and of my births
wrapped individually so she can't touch their realities
I wonder if she was right:

Meaningless context like band-aid marriages and dreaming in color
to see the pictures,

Not all that pretty.

There are gray strands in her hair in the mirror
in the tone of her eyes - refracted visions -
If I can conquer this window, I can pin anything.

1 comment: